Quite Simply, Organic Food is Better for you!
Organic Food contains more nutrients; it contains higher levels of vitamin C and essential minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron and chromium as well as cancer-preventing antioxidants; and Organic Farming prohibits the use of artificial pesticides and herbicides.
Organic Food is better for your children
- A study here in Australia showed how babies are regularly exposed to several pesticides at levels greater than the set safety levels from their own mother’s breast milk
- Artificial colourings and preservatives in food and drink are thought to contribute to hyperactivity in young children
- By Organic Standards artificial colourings, artificial flavourings, hydrogenated fat, aspartame (artificial sweetener) and monosodium glutamate (MSG), are all additives, which are banned
Organic Food is better for the farmers
- Farmers using pesticide sprays may be directly harming themselves, their families, their staff and their neighbours
- Conventional farmers and farm workers have an increased risk of prostate cancer, more birth defects in their children, higher risk of their children having hyperactivity disorders, and higher risk of their children developing kidney, brain or other cancers
Organic Food is better for animal welfare
- The health and wellbeing of organic animals is central to organic principles
- Organic animals have access to the outdoors
- Organic animals are not allowed GM (genetically modified) food or growth-promoting drugs
Organic Food is better for the environment
- Organic Farming bans artificial fertilisers that can pollute rivers and contribute to toxic algal blooms in Australian coastal waters
- Organic Farmers fertilise their fields more naturally by rotating their crops, using composted manure, and planting crops that enhance the fertility of the soil
Organic Food tastes better!
- How many times have you thought `Food today is tasteless!` this is due to the fact that modern varieties are chosen for quick turnover and not the taste
- Many fruit and vegetables are grown out of season, picked green and stored in controlled atmosphere for long periods of time. It’s no wonder they don’t taste how they should
- Compare this with the consistent consumer experience that organic food really does taste better. Tastes how food should. Tastes how food used to taste
- Organic food isn’t a luxury. It’s how food is supposed to be
The only way to be sure that you are buying organic products is to check that they have been organically certified by one of the approved certifying organizations.
There are seven organic certifiers in Australia, they are:
- The Biological Farmers of Australia
- The National Association for Sustainable Agriculture Australia
- The Organic Food Chain
- Organic Growers of Australia
- Bio-Dynamic Research Institute (Demeter)
- Safe Food Production Queensland
- Tasmanian Organic-Dynamic Producers.